Thursday 11 April 2013

mycorrhizae fungi

 mycorrhizae fungi inoculant results
Whenever we install a new garden, we use mycorrhizae fungi inoculant on the plants' roots.  When I research the use of this inoculant on plants, I read many mixed reviews.  So I decided to test the product for myself.

I don't have a lab.  I don't have all kinds of electrical monitoring devices--I simply grew seeds in a growing medium with and without mycorrhizae inoculant.  All the seeds came from the same package and were planted in the same growing medium.  Half of the growing mediums had Myke mycorrhizae fungal inoculant added.

The photo to the right shows two basil seedlings:  the one on the left was grown without mycorrhizae inoculant, the one on the right grown with mycorrhizae inoculant.  They were both grown for the same number of days.

The plant on the right did much better than the plant grown without the fungal inoculant.  This was true with every seedling we tested.

The key to a healthy plant is healthy roots.  The more root mass a plant has, the more food and nutrients the plant can ingest.

Mycorrhizal fungi is a natural fungi growing in all our soils.  Plants could not exist without it.

In Canada, I believe the only maker of mycorrhizae fungal inoculant is Alberta's Myke.  Gardening centres usually carry small containers of the product branded for specific purposes.  We buy large bags of all purpose Myke from landscapers' stores.  You can contact Myke (www.usemykepro.com) for a local suppliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment